Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Olive Oil - The Multiple Uses of This Amazing Oil

Imagine standing in your local bulk buying store and wondering "Sure, it is cheaper to get the two gallon container of olive oil...but what in the world am I going to do with that much oil?" I have been doing some research on this healthy oil option and I have found that, in fact, there are numerous everyday uses for it. Some may be surprising but others make perfect sense.

1. Use it when you shave and to moisturize. Believe it or not, using olive oil in place of shaving cream will actually get you a closer shave. The great thing about using olive oil is that while you shave you it doubles as a skin moisturizer as well; saving you a step when you get out of the shower. For a mom of two little angels, I will definitely take advantage of saving a couple of steps to save me some time during the day. Also, olive oil is also great for removing eye makeup. Just dab a bit on your eye makeup and then just wipe it off with a cloth.

2. Stainless Steel Appliances and Wood Furniture. Now my stainless steel appliances cause me a great deal of headache. I get so frustrated when I clean them, especially when I am finished to see streaks all over them. Not only are they streaky but they seem dull and to have lost their shine... that is until I discovered olive oil as a shining agent. My steps are to first clean the appliance with some soapy water or a moist cleaning wipe and then to shine it up with olive oil. However, with wood furniture one can just put a bit of olive oil on a dry cloth and remove dust with ease. Just as a precaution I would try a test spot first to make sure nothing unforeseen happens. Otherwise, pretty amazing?

3. As a lubricant. So, I have a 2 and half year old and a 1 year old and one thing that I cannot have in my house is a squeaky door. Because that special time in the afternoon when my darlings are sleeping I am able to get some well needed, well deserved rest. I noticed that it can also be used on zippers of all sorts (bags, pants, luggage, etc.) Use it as a lubricant for your candle holder as well. Just rub a bit of olive oil on the decorative dish before placing your candle on it and if and when the candle drips, the wax can easily be removed.

No comments:

Post a Comment